Psychology 101 for Change Agents: Dialing in Your Mindset for Maximum Impact
Jun 08, 2021
A life of extraordinary impact is really a set of extraordinarily impactful moments, stacked one on top of another. And these moments aren't just the product of happenstance--the common thread that connects them all is your mindset.
In the first 8 sessions of this Understanding and Evolving Your Psychology series, we've covered some fundamentals for stepping into your best self, from understanding how you meet your innate human needs to identifying and re-writing your most important rules and beliefs. Now it's time to get practical and tactical--the final sessions of this series are all about dialing in the mindsets that constitute your best self in the three most important areas to live out your highest calling as a change agent: your energy, your impact and your joy.
This session's video and worksheet is focused on dialing in your mindset for maximum impact so that you can show up as your best self in pursuit of your calling to make the world a better place more powerfully and more consistently every day.
Key Questions in Mapping the Path to Your Most Impactful Mindset
Here are a set of journaling questions to work through to help you get in touch with key elements to draw on as you build your mindset for maximum impact.
- What is your ultimate vision for yourself as a change agent generating positive impact in the world around you? When you are answering your call to serve at the highest level, and you are showing up as your most impactful self day in and day out, what contributions will you be making to others, what will you be able to do, what great feelings will you get experience more in your life? Paint this picture as vividly as you can.
- Why is realizing this ultimate vision of your most impactful contribution to others so important to you?
- What fun, playful, or inspiring names can you give to yourself when you are living out this high impact identity? Language and metaphor are powerful—they can speak directly to your unconscious mind and activate your full self in pursuit of your vision in surprising ways.
- What feelings do you value the most when it comes to maximizing your impact? What are your rules for experiencing those feelings—what has to happen in order for you to experience each of these feelings? Are there any tweaks you can make to these rules in order to experience even more of these impact boosting feelings?
- What actions are most important for you to take on a consistent basis when it comes to maximizing your impact? What are your go-to “power moves?” for maximizing your impact? How can you anchor these actions to consistent habit triggers during the course of your day (e.g. as soon as you walk through the doorway to your workspace in the morning, breaking out your noise canceling headphones and jumping into a 25 minute deep work session)
- What’s your kryptonite when it comes to building up your most impactful self? What thoughts, feelings or actions do you most need to move away from? What are your go-to cures for these kryptonites—what algorithms can you install as automatic responses to counteract these kryptonites? For example: “whenever I feel myself starting to y, then I will do x….”
- What external resources, people, places and things can you tap into to help you live out you most powerful, high impact mindset?
Putting it All Together: Creating Your Mindset Map for Your Most Impactful Self
You may also find it helpful to capture your answers to these journalling questions using the worksheet's Mindset Map. This is a fillable pdf that prints out as a single page and it makes an easy reference to remind yourself of how you are putting together the key pieces in your journey to build your most impactful self.